The Brohawn lab in the Department of Molecular and Cell Biology and Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute at UC Berkeley is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our research group as an Assistant Specialist Step I-II. This individual will be a member of a dynamic and multidisciplinary team focused on understanding sensory transduction and electrical signaling in the nervous system from the molecular to the physiological levels using state of the art approaches in structural biology, biophysics, and neuroscience.
The successful candidate will assist and collaborate with senior lab members on most aspects of research in the Brohawn lab including: mammalian and insect cell culture, eukaryotic membrane protein expression and purification, antibody and nanobody generation, electrophysiology, structure determination by X-ray crystallography and/or cryo-electron microscopy, immunohistochemistry, basic molecular biology, animal maintenance, and organization of data for reports and publication. In addition, the candidate will manage lab safety and compliance programs and work directly with the PI on a variety of tasks to ensure efficient and productive operation of the laboratory.
Minimum/Basic Qualifications (By Start Date):
• BA/BS or equivalent in a relevant field (such as Neuroscience, Biology, Biochemistry, or Biophysics).
Additional Qualifications (By Start Date):
• Minimum 1 year experience of basic laboratory skills: routine pipetting, sterile technique, solution/media preparation, PCR, DNA plasmid design, and molecular cloning.
• Demonstrated experience with one or more major techniques used in the lab (membrane protein biochemistry, X-ray crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy, electrophysiology, antibody production, immunohistochemistry, and/or mouse colony maintenance).
• Communicate effectively individually and in small groups.
• Meticulous, well-organized, and detail-oriented work style.
This position report will report to Dr. Steve Brohawn. The initial appointment will be at 100% time for one year with the expectation of extension based on satisfactory performance and availability of funding. The expected start date will be approximately January 1, 2018. Initial step, between Step I and Step III, will be determined at time of appointment based on prior experience.
The initial annual salary will be between $42,780 - $48,768 depending on step/experience. This position provides full benefits. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html.
Complete an application at: https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF01567
In order to be considered, all applications must include the following:
• a cover letter
• a current curriculum vitae
• Contact information for three individuals who have agreed to serve as a reference for this position (include title, institution, email, basis for this individual's recommendation of the applicant as student/employee/mentor). Letters of reference may be requested for finalists.
All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality (http://apo.berkeley.edu/evalltr.html) prior to submitting their letters.
This recruitment will remain open until filled.
For assistance, contact: Annie Dinh, HR Partner by email to: email@example.com
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/ NondiscrimAffirmAct. The department is interested in candidates who will contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in higher education through their work.
Current Curriculum Vitae