Research group in the Material Science and Engineering Department seeks applications for a Postdoctoral Scholar employee, in the area of Material Science and Engineering, or in a closely related field, at 100% time. The candidate will perform work under the supervision of Professor Thomas Devine.
This is a full-time, one-year position and the appointment is renewable for a second year depending on availability of funding and satisfactory performance. Anticipated start date is December 2017.
The responsibilities include: Investigate the relationship between processing and microstructure of additively manufactured stainless steels. Particular topics of emphasis are (1) the as-solidified microstructure of rapidly solidified 316 stainless steel; (2) the processing parameters that control rapidly solidified microstructures; (3) the influence of overlapping, laser-melted, rapidly solidified tracks on solid-state phase transformations; (4) macroscopic and microscopic defects formed in 3D printed stainless steel. (5) Formation of intermetallic inclusions during solidification of laser melted metal droplets; (6) Physics of fluid flow and shape changes of molten metal created by a scanning laser beam.
• The completion of all PhD or equivalent degree requirements except the dissertation at the time of application.
Additional Qualifications (by start date):
• Must have a PhD or equivalent degree in Materials Science and Engineering or in a closely related field.
• Demonstrated interest and experience in physical metallurgy.
• Demonstrated communication skills, both oral and written.
• Experience in any of the following areas is desirable but not essential: use of computational thermodynamics software, 3D printing of metals, electron based microscopy, and analytical characterization.
The full-time annual salary will be $60,000.
To apply go to https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF01531.
Please direct all questions for this position to Professor Thomas M. Devine, firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: Material Science and Engineer Postdoctoral.
This position will remain open until filled.
To receive full consideration interested individuals should submit application documents as PDFs, which includes:
• Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
• Statement of Research Interests
• Writing Sample
• 3 references required (contact information only): Letters of reference will only be solicited for finalists.
All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality (http://apo.berkeley.edu/evalltr.html) prior to submitting their letters.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research Interests