Open date: June 6, 2023
Next review date: Monday, Dec 11, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Wednesday, Jan 31, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Academic - Non-Tenure Track
The professional and continuing education division of the University of California, Berkeley Extension, invites applications for a pool of qualified Extension Instructor Assistants to provide teaching assistance to the Business and Entrepreneurship Visiting Student Program. All courses are offered weekdays in-person on the UC Berkeley campus with some online instructional components.
We are seeking qualified applicants who possess subject matter expertise and/or interest in the following subjects/specializations (but not limited to).
The Extension Instructor Assistant does not perform teaching duties, but provides support to the primary instructor. Specific duties may include a subset of the following.
Assist primary instructor with:
- Course preparation, including preparing course materials, coordinating student groups, and setting up the course in the learning management system.
- Grading and providing feedback on student assignments, projects, papers, and examinations.
- Facilitating group work, activities, or breakout discussions.
- Monitoring online course activity and the student discussion forum. May answer routine student emails/questions.
- Provide individual or group tutoring to students.
- Summarize and escalate complex student questions/issues to primary instructor.
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent international degree)
- All work must be performed in the United States, whether in person or online. For those who are not US citizens or permanent residents, a legal permit that allows work in the United States (such as a US visa that allows employment) is required by the start date of the position. Due to the part-time, temporary nature of Extension Instructor Assistant positions, UC Berkeley Extension is unable to provide US visa/work permits for this position.
- Advanced degree in course subject area preferred.
- 2 or more years of professional experience in the course subject.
- Understanding of the business and entrepreneurship environment either through studies or practical work experience (2+ years).
- Teaching, training, mentoring or tutoring experience in the course subject.
- Ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information.
- Effective verbal/written communication and presentation skills (English).
- Effective organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and work within a team environment.
- Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) instructional and other technology such as the campus’ Learning Management System (Canvas), online video conferencing (Zoom), and Google tools (docs, sheets, slides, shared calendars, email, etc.).
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement on Contributions to Advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Statement on your contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including information about your understanding of these topics, your record of activities to date, and your specific plans and goals for advancing equity and inclusion if hired at Berkeley. More Information and guidelines.
- 3 required (contact information only)
Please provide three names of references (direct supervisors/managers only) along with contact information at time of application. The department will confirm and notify candidates before reaching out to references.
Help contact: email@example.com
About UC Berkeley
UC Berkeley is committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. The excellence of the institution requires an environment in which the diverse community of faculty, students, and staff are welcome and included. Successful candidates will demonstrate knowledge and skill related to ensuring equity and inclusion in the activities of their academic position (e.g., teaching, research, and service, as applicable).
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
In searches when letters of reference are required all letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality prior to submitting their letter.
As a University employee, you will be required to comply with all applicable University policies and/or collective bargaining agreements, as may be amended from time to time. Federal, state, or local government directives may impose additional requirements.