Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
There is an opening for a postdoctoral scholar position in the group of Dr. Keenan in the Department of Environmental, Science & Policy Management at UC Berkeley. This individual will participate in the NSF-funded PREEVENTS project, aimed at advancing efforts to understand and forecast flash droughts. The work will be focused on three characteristic features of flash droughts: (1) the role of land surface memory, such that observations of vegetation and soil moisture status can provide early indications of flash drought risk; (2) evaporative demand as a leading driver of flash drought onset; (3) the central role of vegetation in flash drought development through its influence on soil moisture and heat fluxes. To do so, the postdoctoral researcher will use eddy-covariance observations, remote sensing, and land surface models to improve our understanding of local to global drought and ecological forecasting.
Specific Duties of the Position will include:
• The application of quantitative analytical methods to large datasets
• The formulation and testing of hypotheses
• Critical appraisal of ecological and physiological theory
• Model development and implementation
• Presentation of results at scientific meetings
• Publishing of results in scientific journals
• Working as part of a multi-institutional team
• Mentoring graduate and undergraduate students
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS (at the time of application)
• PhD (or equivalent international degree) or enrolled in a PhD degree program (or equivalent international degree)
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS (by start date)
• PhD (or equivalent international degree)
• The candidate should have no more than four years of post-degree research experience
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (by start date)
• Demonstrated quantitative and computational skills
• Demonstrated written and verbal communications skills
• Domain knowledge in ecology, ecosystem science or ecophysiology
• Demonstrated ability to produce scientific results and to publish papers in international peer- reviewed journals
• Ability to work independently and as part of a larger team
• Proficient coding skills in at least one of: R, Matlab, Python
• Knowledge of ecophysiology and plant biochemistry
• Experience working with data relevant to ecosystem states, traits and rates
• Demonstrated numerical and communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work in an integrated team environment
This position reports to Dr. Trevor Keenan. The initial appointment is 100% for one (1) year with the possibility of an extension, based on satisfactory performance and availability of funding. Anticipated start date is Fall 2019.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The annual salary range for this position is $50,760 to $59,100. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Generous benefits are included (http://vspa.berkeley.edu/postdocs)
Contact information of three references is required, only those of finalists will be contacted. All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality: http://apo.berkeley.edu/evalltr.html.
The recruitment will remain open until filled.
Berkeley seeks to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
The department is interested in candidates who will contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in higher education through their work.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Publications - 1-2 publications (electronic format)
- 3 required (contact information only)