Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Center for Labor Research and Education (Labor Center), a public service and outreach program of the UC Berkeley Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, has an opening for a senior leadership position. Founded in 1964, the UC Berkeley Labor Center works on the most pressing economic challenges affecting working families in California and across the country. The Labor Center provides timely, policy-relevant research on labor and employment issues for policymakers and stakeholders, and conducts training for a new and diverse generation of worker leaders and students.
The Labor Center seeks a Deputy Chair (Academic Coordinator II) to provide operational and programmatic oversight for the entire Labor Center, under supervision of the Chair. The Deputy Chair will work with the Chair to lead the internal operations of the Center, including supervising and guiding lead staff and academic personnel, coordinating planning and budgeting, overseeing professional development, and leading fundraising events. The position also entails substantive programmatic work, depending on the background and interests of the candidate; such as developing and implementing training programs for unions and worker organizations; contributing to our growing programs with students, or other programs that build the Labor Center’s infrastructure and capacity. The ideal candidate is a skilled, experienced administrator with experience in the labor movement and a demonstrated ability to improve organizational culture, align operations with mission, and lead substantive program activities. The position will entail supervision of both staff and academic personnel, and requires high-level strategic understanding of the Labor Center’s research, outreach, and educational activities.
There are two primary areas of responsibility for this position: administration and program development. The specific areas of program development will depend on the interests and qualifications of the candidate, but will be related to our training and education activities.
1) Center direction:
a. Supervise Labor Center central staff and academic personnel, including the lead administrator, communications director, and development director.
b. Oversee professional development for the entire center: including plans, procedures, and implementation.
c. Oversee staff meetings and retreats: this includes developing agendas and facilitating collaboration to promote equity and organizational growth.
d. Coordinate hiring, evaluations and promotions.
2) Planning and budgeting:
a. Serve on the Labor Center Management and Program Director’s Teams
b. Assist the Chair with strategic planning and coordination of the Center’s programs.
c. Develop and oversee a $5 million organizational budget in coordination with the Chair.
d. Manage the Labor Center in the absence of the Chair
3) Fundraising: supervise development staff, lead fundraising events, and develop a long-term fundraising strategy.
1) Training and/or Student Programs: Participate in developing and implementing training programs for unions and worker organizations; contributing to our growing programs with students, or other programs that build the Labor Center’s infrastructure and capacity.
2) Other program development aligned with the candidate’s background and skills.
Minimum Qualifications (required at time of application):
• Bachelors degree or equivalent international degree
Additional Qualifications (required at start date):
• Minimum of 5 years professional experience.
• Strong familiarity with major issues facing labor in California.
• Knowledge of and relationships with labor and community-based organizations.
• Strong management and organizational development skills and experience.
• Experience managing budgets, including overseeing multiple revenue sources and developing multi-year projections.
• Ability to take initiative and manage projects with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrated ability to lead a team to effectively implement projects and events.
• Ability to work and communicate effectively with University faculty, staff, and students, as well as with community stakeholders, particularly leaders and rank and file members of unions and other worker organizations.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Experience in training.
• Experience with fundraising and/or communications.
• Experience working with faculty and students in a higher education setting.
This appointment is for two years at full time with the possibility of renewal based on performance and funding. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Anticipated start date is December 2, 2019, but is negotiable.
To apply, please go to the following link: https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/JPF02380 Contact information for 3 references (required). Letters of reference are not required at this time. We will seek your permission before contacting your references.
This position will remain open until filled. Please address any inquiries to Anhara Alexander, firstname.lastname@example.org.
All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality (https://apo.berkeley.edu/ucb-confidentiality-policy) prior to submitting their letters.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3 required (contact information only)