Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Date: February 11, 2019
Posting Title: Continuing Educator I; Program Director of Professional Education-Sustainability, Planning & Construction – Extension (100% FTE)
Location: UC Berkeley Extension, Berkeley, CA
Closing Date: Open until Filled
Job Number: JPF02063
UC Berkeley Extension, the continuing education division of the University of California, Berkeley, has been building bridges between UC Berkeley and the public since 1891. UC Berkeley Extension serves the professional and continuing education goals of thousands of people each year. Extension’s value-added service is an essential part of the University mission to: extend the research and scholarship of UC Berkeley to a global community; increase access to higher education for non-traditional, online and international students; and improve the workforce.
The Program Director of Professional Education in Sustainability, Planning, and Construction serves as a subject matter expert with extensive practical experience in architecture, design, construction management, construction project management, HVAC, building management, or facilities management. The PD for SP&C develops and manages related courses, contracts and curricula. Preferably the candidate also will have some academic experience as an educator or an academic administrator.
The PD for SP&C is a 12-month annual term appointment, renewable contingent on funding and positive performance. This is not a teaching position. The PD for SP&C reports to the Program Director for Engineering and Technology. The PD for SP&C will assist to update rationalize and enhance present programs and, where appropriate, launch new offerings while building student enrollments.
The Program Director/Continuing Educator (CE) assists the Program Director for Engineering and Technology to provide academic leadership and fiscal management in a self-supporting environment. With the leadership of the Assistant Dean and the Program Director for Engineering and Technology, candidate will assist in efforts to raise the academic quality and relevancy of each of the assigned portfolio programs and grow the stature of and enrollments in each.
This position is anticipated to start in April 2019.
Development, administration, and production of new and existing programs, contracts and curricula including credit and noncredit courses, short courses, certificate programs, professional sequences, contract courses, and conferences for classroom, online and similar modes of instruction. Develop academic design of courses
Review student evaluations and use feedback to adjust curriculum and guide instructors to achieve best practices for instruction.
Student counseling and advising:
Counsel students about professions and specific positions, titles and responsibilities in industry related to assigned portfolio. Resolve any student or instructor issues as they occur. Design and conduct student information sessions.
Online Course Development:
Coordinate with the Program Director for Engineering and Technology and Online Development team to develop, refurbish, re-develop courses and update textbooks for online course offerings in assigned portfolio. Recruit and work with Online Development personnel to qualify Subject Matter Experts (SME) to assist with new course development. Resolve issues regarding course matters and SME performance, as appropriate.
Budget development, analysis and monitoring:
Responsible for the production of an annual budget, financial management and successful performance for the portfolio. Establish individual course and program budgets each term in consultation with the Program Director for Engineering and Technology. Periodically analyze and monitor revenue, expenditures and budgets and make adjustments to achieve budgetary goals. In consultation with the Program Director for Engineering and Technology, negotiate instructor compensation and other course related expenses. In consultation with the Program Director for Engineering and Technology, make course cancellation decisions as necessary.
Collaborate with the Communications and Marketing Department to create marketing strategies for assigned portfolio. Write, edit and review website materials, various collateral materials and promotional copy.
Corporate Training/Professional Programs:
Work with Corporate Training department and Program Director for Engineering and Technology regarding contemplated education offerings and assist with program content and instruction and requisite approvals. As required, assist with potential clients to present Extension offerings. Assist to provide programs contracted by clients, including approvals, course logistics and working with Extension, Campus, and other instructors to construct effective academic offerings.
Instructor recruitment and supervision:
Recruit, evaluate, and renew qualified instructors and secure their academic approval. Meet with instructors and advisory groups, as needed, regarding course and program-related issues. Work closely with colleagues and serve as work leader to support staff in the implementation of course offerings to achieve programmatic goals.
Relationship development and collaboration:
Foster and maintain relationships with campus departments, professional associations, accrediting bodies, corporations, advisory committees, and fellow Extension colleagues
REQUIRED BASIC QUALIFICATIONS: (At time of application)
• Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent international degree
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICIATIONS: (At time of hire)
• Must possess at least five years of experience working in construction management, construction project management, architecture, HVAC, building management, or facilities management.
• Ability to set and achieve agreed financial results.
• Organizational and business management skills.
• Verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to form successful relations with instructors, campus departments, professional associations, and corporations.
• Green building design experience or green building certification (e.g. LEED, BREEAM).
• Experience in sustainability and within the built environment.
• Post-baccalaureate education in construction management, construction project management, HVAC, building management, or facilities management.
• Experience or education in architecture or design.
• Experience in higher education administration or teaching at a college level.
The school/department is interested in candidates who have an understanding of the barriers facing women and people of color in higher education.
Family Friendly Statement:
The University offers a comprehensive benefits package and number of policies and programs are in place to support employees as they balance work and family.
The Campus Community:
• The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
• We offer a diverse working environment, competitive salaries, and comprehensive benefits.
• This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a criminal background check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
• For more information about UC Berkeley Extension, please visit: http://www.unex.berkeley.edu.
Go to http://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF02063. Please submit your materials as PDF documents. Applicants’ basic qualifications will be assessed at time of application. Letters of reference will only be solicited for finalists. All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality (http://apo.berkeley.edu/evalltr.html) prior to submitting their letters. This position is open until filled. Contact Lisa Fuller, HR Manager at email@example.com for further information.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3 required (contact information only)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information